Starting a Business from Scratch?
Here are some steps you’ll need to take along the way:
Step One: Register your Business
Decide on a business name and the structure of your company – sole proprietorship, LLC, Inc, or something else. Once you’ve done this, you can register your company name for free with the Pennsylvania State Department, and apply for a tax ID with the IRS.
Step Two: Create a Tax Structure
Don’t let unanticipated tax bills delay your growth. A useful step here is to go to business.pa.gov, which contains valuable instructions for creating a tax payment structure based on the location of your company and the kind of service it provides.
What to Do Next
Monroe County has a lot to offer a start-up enterprise. There’s not just startup money to be had, there are many connections to be made as well.
The Greater Pocono Chamber of Commerce, plus a number of independent business associations, all set up shop here and provide considerable networking opportunities. You’re also close enough to tap into the business connections available in New York City and Philadelphia. No matter what you choose, Monroe County represents a rich medium for growth.
Early Stage Capital
- Angel Capital Association
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners Northeastern PA
- PA Angel Network
- Pocono Mountains Angel Network
- Keystone Innovation Zone (KIZ) Tax Credit Program
- PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED)
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- East Stroudsburg University
- Greater Pocono Chamber of Commerce
- Monroe County CareerLink
- Monroe County Pennsylvania
- NEPA Alliance
- Northampton Community College
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Alliance
- Partnership for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) Northeast
- Pocono Mountains Economic Development Corporation
- Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau
- Score Northeast Pennsylvania
- Small Business Development Center – University of Scranton
- Scranton SBDC